Social Icons

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Vidal Sassoon Salonist Hair Color

I’ve been coloring my hair for many years, and I’ve always done it myself at home. I’ve had an opportunity to use many brands of hair color. Most recently, I colored my hair with the new Vidal Sassoon Salonist hair color, courtesy of a BzzAgent campaign. Each box comes with gloves, hair color (colorant, activating lotion and VS serum), brush, bowl, and conditioner.

Two-step Process

It involves a two-step process. First, you brush the hair color on your roots, and then you wait. Then you apply the product to the rest of your hair. I have used another leading at-home two-step system, so I’m used to using the two-step approach. I don’t mind two steps and taking longer with the whole coloring process, as long as the color turns out looking good.

I clipped my hair into sections and used a mirror to get the back of my head. It does take patience and plenty of time to apply the color. It can be challenging to get the color applied evenly, especially if you have long hair

Gray Coverage

I have about 30% gray, and I need to have a coloring product that has excellent and long-lasting gray coverage. But, my hair was ready to be re-colored after about two weeks because my grays were showing (not just new growth, but grays that I already had). I also must note that I only wash my hair every two to three days. I’d expect the color to last longer, but in fairness, I’ve had problems with my gray hairs holding color before with other brands.

My verdict

I used the medium neutral brown. I chose a color labeled “neutral” because my hair has a lot of red, and I have wanted to tone down the redness to have a nice chocolate-colored brown, for a change. For the first week, the color looked practically black. I was a little worried, but the blackness faded into a nice chocolate-brown that I wanted. I also liked the shine after using the product and the fact that the redness was toned down.

I did have some problem with the color turning out even. My roots turned out darker than the rest of my hair. The darkness at my roots did fade after a couple washes.

Compared to going to a salon for color, the price is good. However, when compared to other boxed hair colors, it is on the pricey side. Vidal Sassoon Salonist hair color looks luxurious. It has nice packaging, comes from a well-known name, and has a good scent. The conditioner left my hair feeling silky and soft, and I loved the feel of my hair afterwards.

I really wanted to like this hair-coloring product. After the first week, when it had a chance to “settle in” I did like my hair. It did have rich-looking color and left my hair feeling soft. I do wish the color lasted longer on my gray hairs, though.

The retail price is about $13-14. I’ve had difficulty finding in stores around area, and when I do find Salonist, there is a very small selection.  If you would like to try Vidal Sassoon Salonist, the best selection that I have seen is on amazon.com.


I got the above product for free, through BzzAgent, in return for my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment