Social Icons

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Opal Apples Review

I love apples for snacks, lunch, or anytime. They are good with cheese, peanut butter, or Reese’s Spread. If I am particularly ambitious I put apples in pie, apple crisp, oatmeal, and the list goes on. I got a $5 off coupon from BzzAgent for Opal Apples, so I went to my local Fred Meyer and loaded up on some Opals.
Sliced Opal Apple

Apples have several health benefits, like being high in soluble fiber, helping to control weight, being good for heart health. They‘re also good for your dental health and stimulate saliva production.

Opal apples are a flavorful, sweet cross between Golden Delicious and Topaz apples.  They naturally don’t turn brown after you cut them. When I first heard this, I was skeptical. I thought that they must be GMO or that the claim must be an exaggeration. I’m happy to say Opal apples are not GMO and really don’t turn brown after cutting. They are good for kid’s lunches, since they like their apples sliced and these don’t turn brown easily.

About Opal Apples

The Opal apple was discovered in 1999 in Europe. Since then, the apple has been tested in 63 orchards throughout Europe and the Mediterranean. In 2010, the Opal made its way to the United States. It is grown exclusively at Broetje Orchards in Washington State.

This variety of apple is only available from November through March. They are also only grown by a particular grower, on limited acreage. They are also a little challenging to find in the store. To find a store near you check out Opal’s website

When I buy groceries, I like to save money.  Therefore, I originally scoffed at the price of Opals because I normally get whichever apples are on sale, typically costing half the price per pound of what the Opals go for. My family goes through lots of apples. Costing almost three dollars a pound, Opals may seem like a luxury.

When thinking that these apples cost more, consider this information taken from an Opal information sheet:
 “About First Fruits of Washington First Fruits of Washington is a collaborative apple marketing company owned by the growers, Broetje and Congdon Orchards. These growers share a commitment to producing high quality fruit while balancing the demands of purpose, people, planet and profit so that a portion of profits can be donated to non-profit missions supporting the underserved. For more information, visit www.firstfruits.com

•10% of profits from First Fruits of Washington are donated to non-profits each year. Employees of First Fruits form a committee and approval all charitable giving.
•Each grower also commits to contributing a minimum of 10% of their profits to charitable causes, with Broetje Orchard donating 50% or more to charities around the globe
•Broetje Orchards invests heavily in their employees and community, providing affordable housing, daycare and school as well as adult classes which accommodate work schedule”

No comments:

Post a Comment