Social Icons

Monday, January 4, 2010

Beginning a New Year

Many of us start the new year with resolutions to exercise more, eat healthier, lose weight, etc. But why? As we head into the new year it’s good to take a look at our motivation. If we are not focused then it’s easy to get off track.

Last year I decided to try to eat healthier. I was tired, lethargic, and depressed. I knew I wanted a better life. There are also some health issues that run in my family: diabetes, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis. My mother-in-law had a stroke at the beginning of last year and that really made me think. I wanted to live a long, healthy life. I knew that started with what I put into my body for fuel. So this year I am continuing my quest for healthy eating. Here are some good ideas.
  • stocking up on whole grains
  • choosing whole foods - foods that are minimally processed, no artificial flavors or sweeteners
  • no partially hydrogenated oils
  • no high fructose corn syrup
  • choosing organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy
  • choosing organic fruits and vegetables. Organic foods have no synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fumigants, no GMO's, no irradiation, no hormones or antibiotics, or artificial ingredients. Choosing organic foods heps to keep chemicals out of your body, helps protect the environment. According to Earthbound Farm's website organic fruits and vegetables are 30% higher in antioxidants. They say emerging science is showing that average levels of nutrients are 25% higher in organic foods.
This year another focus of mine is daily exercise. I tend to get easily distracted and procrastinate. Exercise really does help me feel better. It gives me more energy & helps my mental outlook. I like walking outside, but during the winter it's cold and rainy. My goal is to limit my excuses. I do have an exercise bike and stair climber, but I seem to put exercising on the back burner. It really is a choice, though. I make time to eat dinner and make time to do other things that I like. So exercise is just another think that I need to make time for.

The key is developing good habits. As a little kid you are taught to brush your teeth and bathe. Keeping an exercise program going & making healthy food choices is no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment