Social Icons

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Deodorant

Photo by Lusi via freeimages.com
I decided to try to live a healthier lifestyle and use less chemicals. After making the decision to be more natural in my skin and hair care regimens, I considered anti-perspirants and deodorants.

Back in September of last year, I decided to go a week without anti-perspirant. I decided to try this after reading about how antiperspirants clog your pores, preventing your body ridding itself of toxins. Then I read some other articles saying they cause cancer. Then there is the debate about the aluminum in antiperspirant being absorbed into the brain, which is linked to Alzheimer's. Well I don't know if the cancer causing element is true or not. It seems there may not be enough evidence to support either argument. You can read this article for more info: Aluminum in Deodorant

I can tell you that I need antiperspirant. I can't stand being moist. I don't want my shirts getting sweat stains, and most importantly I don't want to stink. I've tried some natural deodorants, some left me less than impressed. The crystal deodorant I tried was okay. It was better than going without, but I wouldn't wear it with a fitted shirt at work and raise my arm, if you know what I mean.

The one that I did use and was happy with was Arm & Hammer's Essentials natural deodorant. It is aluminum free and Paraben free. It has baking soda and natural plant extracts. It does contain Dipropylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, and something called Tetrasodium EDTA. Which I didn't know what they were, only that it didn't sound natural. So I looked them up. I encourage everyone to look things up if they don't know what they are. Look at a few, reputable, sources to help you get a good idea. In my next blog I will talk about these items and what I learned.
If you're feeling adventurous here is a website with a recipe for homemade deodorant: http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/

No comments:

Post a Comment