Social Icons

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Product Review: MY-GRASTICK™

I’ve suffered from migraines for several years. Sometimes they knock me down, where I will be lying in bed in a dark room for a few days. As a busy mother, I really don’t have time to get wiped out by a migraine.

I came across this neat little tube called MY-GRASTICK™ (or MiGRASTICK®, as it appears to be called in Europe). It contains one hundred percent pure, natural steam–distilled peppermint oil and lavender oil. Peppermint oil contains menthol, which causes a cooling sensation on the skin, which can act as a pain reliever and an inflammation reducer. Lavender essential oil is relaxing and reduces stress.

I bought it about three weeks ago at a local Super Supplements store. It seemed like a novel idea, essential oils in a small roll on stick. It’s convenient, because it fits in a purse or pocket. According to the packaging each stick lasts for more than 100 applications.  The tube is made of glass, which is breakable, so one must be careful to not drop it. The glass bottle, says the company's website, is needed to retain the properties of the sensitive essential oils. The glass bottle is coated with a metallic film to protect the light sensitive ingredients.

Over the past few weeks, I have used it several times. I have found that it is useful if you apply it at the very first sign of getting a migraine or headache. If you wait until the migraine is advanced, then it really doesn’t do much except provide a pleasant scent. Some times when I have a full blown migraine, I’m sensitive to odors, so I need to be careful to not use too much or it makes me feel worse. 

This morning I awoke with a throbbing headache, if it were not for having several things to do today and two young boys, I would have stayed in bed. I massaged the My-GRASTICK® on my temples, forehead, and neck. After some stretching exercises and a cup of tea if felt much better.

According to the manufacturer the product got high marks in a clinical trial with 91% of patients being satisfied with the effectiveness. The website contains lots of information about studies done about the effectiveness of the product. It also notes that it is not for use by pregnant or lactating women, children, or epileptics.

No comments:

Post a Comment